Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's F3F gear unpacking time!

Yesterday, I had a form in my mailbox telling me a pack is awaiting me at the post office next morning at 7:30. You guys all know how one feels in such moments... Well, this morning, I drove down and loaded a nice large pack into the trunk of my Volvo. But it was not time to unravel its content yet because it was time to go work first.
The morning felt long. At noon, after dinner, rapidly I couldn't wait any more! So I carried the package up to my office, just to take a look! In fact, it's only after I got home tonight that I had some more time to detail the beauty: my brand new Cyril F3F which ended its trip from the Czech Republic to my living room! Thanks to Jiri Baudis and his spouse Radka at Baudis Model, I could grab the new F3F machine I dreamed of since July.
I'll have plenty of occasions to detail this beautifully crafted glider in near future. For now, let's just get to some facts and basic comparison with my nice Tanga from Breta Model.
I ordered my Cyril fully equipped. It has a 1300 mAh 4 cells NiMh battery. It's 200 mAh less than I'm used to, but let's see how I live with that for the moment.
Wings are equipped with 4 Futaba S3150 servos. Those are the same as in all my molded composite machines and I'm am happy with their efficiency and speed. I even run them on 5 cells NiMh in two gliders without problems. The wing servos are factory mounted with RDS. For tail control surfaces, two Graupner DS3781 are mounted. It's the first time I have RDS in the wings and such expensive fuse servos, but I am sure the Cyril is worth them, and in the last few months, the Euro was quite affordable for us in milk chocolate country!
All electronic and wiring is nicely in place. The only thing I had to do before setting up the model was to get the MPX wing connectors out of the two wing halves... This I could finally do with some bent wire. A small thread lashed around the cable and paper taped outside the hole would avoid some fumbling, though.
Finish is superb, as I expected. I ordered my own design and Jiri has executed it as requested at no extra cost. It's true the motive is quite simple, with only two colors I chose from the convenient RAL chart on Baudis Model web site. One only design detail that was not painted, but I've had been informed that it would have made things more difficult to do cleanly, so it is not important (red of V-tail blending down the fuse tail).
My Cyril is red and white. I wanted to have somehow a Swiss flag design (white cross on red background), but not too clearly recognizable. I also wanted to have the design asymetrical enough to be able to distinguish right from left wing at distance. So my layout is an 45 degrees oblique and decentered white cross. I am very glad with the result and I think this Cyril design is original, yet simple.
The model comes with fuse + wing ballast (brass), which will make ballasting very versatile in the field.
Part weights are as follows (remember it's equipped):
- right wing half 737 grams (Tanga 674 g)
- left wing half 744 grams (Tang 678 g)
- joiner 104 grams (~100 g)
- right stab 39.5 grams
- left stab 38.5 grams
- fuselage with added 6 channel Jeti Duplex Rx 478 grams
- equipped fuse + stabs 556 grams without balancing lead (repaired Tanga 975 g)
Overall unballasted weight is 2141 grams only, not much for a F3F version (my Tanga is 2427 g). Of course, some nose lead will probably be needed to adjust final CG.
Fuse ballast is composed of 8 rectangular brass pieces totaling 514 g. Wing ballast is also 8 brass elements weighting 1062 g. Total ballast at disposal is 1576 grams (Tanga fuse ballast is 1120 g), which should bring my full ballasted Cyril F3F to little more than 3717 grams!
Well, let's finish this post saying that I rapidly shot the pictures with my Galaxy S in bad light. Some are quite blurred, but I think they give a general impression.Guess what my dreams will look like this night???

No comments:

Post a Comment